I know that the unofficial title of this blog is “The Least Idiotic Shows On The Idiot Box”, and a fully realize that some people might consider Family Guy to be an idiotic television series. However idiocy is in the eye of the viewer, and as a college student studying television – I can recall countless hours of immense joy and giggles by watching a show that pokes fun at just about every family oriented idiosyncrasy imaginable. Say what you will about the shows dark humor and the Griffin family antics, but just plain ‘funny’ is one thing they cannot be denied. Now here are my pros and cons:
1. Stewie Griffin – A semi-evil American baby with a British accent hell-bent on world domination and achieving intellect of the highest degree? Yes please!
2. A wide variety of voices and characters that keep the show from getting stale.
3. Over the course of 11 seasons, the writers have had the gumption to make fun of just about everything conceivable.
4. Brian Griffin – The highly humanized, alcoholic, and opinionated family dog.
5. A theme song that’s catchy and memorable.
6. Re-runs of the show are regularly played late night on Adult Swim, which are great for college students and capitalists alike.
7. Random cutaway gags that frequently have me on the floor laughing.
8. Even though you can’t see her because she voices a cartoon carachter – Mila Kunis!
1. Intense political views often thrown into the audience’s face.
2. The first few seasons’ animation is truly awful comparatively to modern cartoon realism.
3. The “Quagmire” episodes (Glen Quagmire is an immensely perverted character) often have sexual humor that can be too intense for a large portion of viewers.
4. In 2009, the show ‘lost’ one of the funniest characters, Cleveland Brown, to a spinoff show.
If you’re looking for a few laughs without heavy intellectual stress, Family Guy is the show for you.
Next Time: True Blood